3.21.2011

mama chokers



I'd like to introduce you to the infamous chocolate drop cookie. These fluffy cookies have also been dubbed "mama chokers," due to the fact that my mother inhales them so fast she chokes on them. Literally. But if you try one, you really can't blame her. Especially when you bite into an extra large one that is so thick and fluffy it’s more like a mini-cake than cookies.

The recipe for these cookies was passed down from my grandma and has even been used by my mother at one point or another. Her kitchen went into a brief state of shock when she decided to bake something from scratch, but trust me; these cookies are worth the extra effort. It's a pretty basic recipe and they only have to bake for about seven minutes. The batter turns out looking more like chocolate mousse than cookie dough.


And the beater-licking is absolutely delicious.


I always make the cookies small at first, maybe 2 inches around, but the last few batches always turn turn into four or five inch cookies. This is where the mini-cakes come into play. I like to let people choose whether they want to enjoy just a few bites or several. If you ask me, I say go big or go home. While the cookies are cooling, I whip up some simple chocolate frosting.


A spread of the knife (or two or three) and you've got yourself a batch of mama chokers. These only last a few days at my parents' house, but that's just because my mother eats four at every meal. And happily chokes on them the whole time.


My parents were the lucky recipients of this batch of cookies in celebration of their 31st wedding anniversary (which is today). Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad! They walked away with the majority of the cookies, but I did save a few for Greg and I since we're celebrating our one year anniversary today as well. One fabulous year since we met and 137 days until our wedding. Just look at all of those wonderful numbers! I know that I promised you there would be no posts with math involved, but some numbers are just too lovely not to mention. 

5 comments:

  1. Mama Chokers?!? LOL I would have thought by now my sister, Jean, perfected the art of inhaling anything chocolate! They look yummy, Jaime. And, congrats on your "one year since we met" anniversary! The wedding will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to how wonderful these cookies taste. I've actually gotten a FEW because I was in the right place at the right time...that would be my sister, Jean's, living room almost immediately after Jaime gave her Mom the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name "mama chokers"!! I'm sure I'd choke on them too... does that make mine "holla chokers"? Bring me a batch and we will find out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we pick on the Mama alittle more??? LOL
    The cookies were amazing!! The key word is "were" - they are gone. Choking has never been so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaime, can you email me this recipe...puh-lease!! I've got a pic-a-nic basket that needs a batch of these!

    ReplyDelete