8.30.2011

the ghost of baking past


Last week's syllabus listed one of my least favorite standard pastry items, but this time I had my piping bag ready. It was pate choux round two (or the ghost of baking past). Unlike my previously horrific experience with pate choux, this time around there were no swans to be made. Just the basics - cream puffs and éclairs. And I now know the tricks of the dough to make the finished items turn out nice and puffy after baking. Plus, we made them taste better by squirting Bavarian cream in the middle and dipping the tops in chocolate.



We even dipped some of them in caramel and put an almond slice on top. A huge pile of these puffs are what make up French wedding cakes, also known as Croquembouche. 


We made almond tuiles as well. These are very thin cookies that are shapeable after baking, so you can fold them over a rolling pin to give them a nice cup shape. They taste sort of like fortune cookies, but you can flavor them however you like before baking. And they're great dipped in coffee in the morning.



The upcoming weekend brings my first cookie practical exam. We have to make checkerboard shortbread cookies, spritz cookies and almond tuiles. Hopefully mine will all turn out as good as they did the first time around!

A tidbit of happiness for the week: it's peach season. I love peaches - especially this variety.



3 comments:

  1. I have to agree, Jaime, Greg certainly is a peach!
    Good luck on your exam . . .even tho' you probably won't knead it! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I like your new profile pix on your blog . . . . isn't it nice to have your cake and eat it too . . . especially when you made it yourself.

    ReplyDelete