10.12.2010

a taste of birthday bananas

Since banana cream pie is my boyfriend's favorite dessert, his birthday celebration over the weekend was the perfect opportunity to test out my skills in the pie arena. I had to go out and buy a pie pan earlier in the week, if that says anything about my current pie making skill level. Nonetheless, the finished product was a bunch of bananas better than I initially expected.

Before turning the oven on Saturday afternoon, I was most worried about perfecting the meringue topping. Much to my surprise, I seem to have a magic touch for whipping up meringue, but my pie crust technique needs some work...



I used shortening to make my pie crust, as it makes for a nice flaky crust with good flavor (so I was told). The image above doesn't really convey the true size of the rolled out crust, however, I will be honest and tell you that it did not all fit in the pie pan without some extra guidance. I had to break off pieces of dough from one side and press them around to other sides where needed. Luckily, this was not evident in the finished product because of the beautifully browned meringue distraction.



After baking the pie crust and slicing the bananas, I was ready to make the vanilla cream filling. This process started with my first experience separating egg yolks from egg whites. Not as hard as I thought, although I did have to dig out a small piece of egg shell from the bowl of egg whites. (Note to self: meringue should not be crunchy.) The cream turned out nice and smooth and my only worry was keeping it warm while I attempted my first meringue.


Much to my delight, my wobbly Sunbeam mixer did a fine job of whipping up a tasty meringue topping. (Yes, a KitchenAid mixer is on my "wishlist of happiness," but for now, I am happy to make do with what I have in my cupboard.) I quickly poured the vanilla cream into the pie crust over the bananas and spooned the meringue on top. After carefully spreading the meringue to the edges of the pie crust, it was ready to bake.

I should take a second here to note that I have a bit of a bad habit of peeking into the oven to check on my goodies before they're done. This poses a problem only if you're one of the chefs who believe that you're letting heat escape and cold air in, therefore altering the quality of the finished product. I am not one of those chefs. Although this bad habit may be breakable if I had an oven with a light inside... Another addition to the wishlist I suppose.


Controversial oven habits aside, thirty minutes later my very first pie came out of the oven looking like this! While I'm not personally a huge fan of banana cream pie, I was pleased to receive a plethora of pie praise from not only the birthday boy, but also a few family members who were in town for the weekend. One piece even made a two and a half hour car ride north to Columbia City, where it was promptly devoured by my uncle.



All in all, it was a successful first taste of pie. Seeing the happiness on my boyfriend's face as he ate several pieces during the course of the weekend made it that much sweeter. Three days and counting until my adventures in pastry really begin. Get your tastebuds ready...

8 comments:

  1. I can testify that the statements regarding the deliciousness of this pie are accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a meringue pie...but I've made plenty of crusts and I think it is impossible to get the dough rolled out to the right size for the pan. I'm always doing patchwork in the pie pan. That's how my mother does it too...and her mother...and her mother before her. Generations have been unsuccessful in rolling dough into the proper radius. It's bananas. I hope that makes you feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks to you both! And yes, Crista, I do feel better knowing that patchwork is a normal technique for pie crust making :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Next time send a piece home for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks scrumptious! Is there any left??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish! Although, we need to get you some cute dishes for "plate presentation!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pie looks great and I heard it was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pie was delicious...and, as you know, Uncle Jim was VERY impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete