6.07.2011

bakers and shakers


Shakers are known for their religious beliefs, but also (and more importantly in my case) for their delicious pies and distingushable pie crusts. So I took it as a compliment when Chef called our group "Shakers" last Saturday. Our baking task list included several pies and we managed to crank them all out at a good rate despite the fact that we were down a group member. It must have been the Shaker mentality. 

Pumpkin Pie


Strawberry Chiffon Pie


Lemon Chiffon Pie


Chiffon pies have beaten egg whites folded into the other ingredients so this makes them light and airy. A refreshing pie for summer, although they don't hold up extremely well in the heat.

Lemon Meringue Pie

This pie isn't finished without a light (or heavy) scorching of the meringue. A shout out to my partner Russ for the lovely toasting seen below.


Pecan Pie


This was my favorite of the pies we made this weekend. And I couldn't believe how easy it was to make! Basically, if you have a large bottle of dark corn syrup and pecans, you're well on your way to making pecan pie. 

We also made a chocolate silk pie which is not pictured because a) I forgot to take a picture of it and b) it didn't taste very good due to the fact that we used a recipe with cocoa powder instead of real chocolate. Not recommended for a taste of happiness.

Overall, I feel more confident in my pie making skills and I am looking forward to moving on to tarts next week. Also, I will never buy a pre-made pie crust again. Neither should you. Free pie crust making lessons will be offered if necessary. 

On a closing note, I'd like to share my very favorite dessert of the week with you. The plate full of scrumtrulescent chocolate dipped strawberries that awaited me when I arrived home from work on Thursday. Much thanks to my fiancé, Greg, who always seems to know how to make me happy.



2 comments:

  1. Uncle Jack and I are "pie people", and I must say all of your pies look wonderful. My fav has always been pecan, while Uncle Jack would prefer a peach. Lately, I have used Jiffy Pie Crust mix or a frozen one to save time, but after viewing your lovely crusts, I believe I will make the time for my next pie! Keep up the good work, Jaime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like a lesson in crust making! Also, I bet your tarts turn out better than those at Taste (because of your penchant for making huge things :) and stuff.

    ReplyDelete