6.28.2011

the butter's back in town



Almond filling and chocolate. Delicious in pastries. Particularly in croissants. Croissants mean that something else is involved as well...butter. That's right - the butter was back in town on Saturday. You may recall my battles with butter last year and realize that I may not have been all excited to work with it again. This time, however, I showed the butter who was boss and ended up with splendidly rolled out dough without squirting butter out the sides.

This go around we made Danish dough and croissant dough. They are mixed up in a very similar way, but the croissant dough is not as sweet as the Danish dough. It is very different than opening a can of Pillsbury crescent rolls though. (If that's normally the croissant route you take, I would recommend adding in some dark chocolate for an extra pinch of happiness.) Made from scratch croissants obviously have a much fresher taste, but they also give you a sense of accomplishment that you can't get from popping open a Pillsbury can with triangular shaped perforations in the dough. Even though they look very similar on the pan...


The taste of these would cause the Dough Boy to really squeal when they hit his stomach.


The Danish dough turned out beautifully as well and I practiced making the various pastry shapes we learned last fall. A squirt of strawberry filling or lemon cream cheese and they were good to go.




Before these pastries were made on Saturday, I spent Thursday evening in my kitchen at home whipping up another batch of my peanut butter banana cupcakes. All of these goodies made the journey to Fort Wayne and while the pastries only made it to my parents' house, the cupcakes were delivered to my bridal shower and more specifically to my Aunt Linda. She was in town to help throw me a fabulously fun shower and I wanted to make sure she had a sample of these cupcakes while she had the chance. Little did I know that she was bringing some of the tastiest pieces of baked happiness my mouth has ever known... Black and White cookies from New York City. That's right, delivered from NYC. I was practically drooling with happiness.


They were large and in charge just like the Big Apple, but I still managed to eat one. Okay, I ate two. And my happy taste buds thank her.

2 comments:

  1. "The taste of these would cause the Dough Boy to really squeal when they hit his stomach."

    That's what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the peanut butter frosted banana cupcakes, Jaime! They were quite yummy, and I ate more than I should have! Glad you liked the Black and White cookies! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete